This application for FY2018 CRISI funds will be the third federal application for the PISCES program of improvements. This grant was submitted in two forms for FY2017 and FY2018 INFRA funding and FY2017 TIGER funding. The differences between those applications and this application is highlighted below:
- Subsequent to previous submissions, a portion of the scope of work was selected for funding by the Illinois Competitive Freight Program. Those project components have been removed, and engineering cost estimates have been updated.
- The previous INFRA and TIGER applications requested $9,301,660 (50%) of a $18,603,322 project.
- This funding round requests $6,081,036 (50%) of a $12,162,072 project from CRISI.
BCA: Previous applications included extensive road and highway improvements in the budget and cost and benefit calculations. The PISCES road improvements were funded as a part of PISCES I in the Illinois Competitive Freight Program and those benefits are excluded from this analysis. The BCA also includes the updated cost estimate as described above.
BCA Explanation: No major changes were made to the rail components of the previous BCA. However, the BCA Explanation Appendix has been updated to reflect the rail focus of this BCA.
Online Repository: In addition to being attached in the grants.gov workspace, all supporting documents are also available from an online repository. Those materials are available at: http://www.pisces-ii.com/
Note: Passwords for the online repository are on introductory page ii of the Project Narrative submitted with the SF-424. The username and password is required to download files from this web page.
Appendix references: All narrative footnotes and references to supporting materials have been altered to reference the online repository via links to improve digital readability.
Narrative changes: This narrative remains similar to previous applications with the following additions or alterations:
- PISCES I vs. PISCES II: Throughout the document references are made to Illinois Competitive Freight Program for PISCES I and its impact on benefits and scope in PISCES II.
- Project Funding Tables have been updated to reflect a narrower scope of work.
- Summary tables from the BCA have been added to each benefits description under “Section VIII. Evaluation and Selection Criteria.”
- An expanded discussion of the interplay between truck and rail and PISCES I and II is provided under Section VIII is provided with regard to “Efficiencies from improved integration with other modes.”
- A new discussion in Section VIII of the “Ability to meet existing or anticipated demand” is included to address the uncertainty of future traffic projections.
- The biographies of key team members have been expanded under “Section VIII.B. Technical Merits.”
- The discussion of ways in which “The project is consistent with guidance and State rail plans under Title 49” has been added as it was not included in previous submissions.
- The discussion of Risk Management in “Section IX. Project Implementation and Management” has been included to discuss tariff risks to steel prices.